A series of fires caused by lithium ion batteries on board planes goes on.

This time there was an emergency on board a China Southern Boeing flying from Nanning in China to Bangkok in Thailand. 

The plane was about 30 minutes into the flight when a passenger's battery pack overheated and burst into flames. 

Cabin crew quickly extinguished the fire, cooled the device down and put it into a safe container. The charred remains of the battery pack are pictured.

The flight crew assessed that it was safe to continue the flight to Bangkok where the aircraft landed safely about 2 hours after departure. 

A pioneering invention called an AvSax (www.avsax.com) can minimise the fire danger caused by electronic items such as laptops on board aircraft in seconds with its unique use of water.

Simply pour at least two litres of water into an AvSax and then drop the burning device into the bag. The water activates a polymer gel inside the bag’s lining causing it to expand around the device. Should the device keep on burning then the AvSax is tough enough to absorb the force.

Several airlines are now fully equipped with them.